Monday, October 6, 2008

Freak out in a moonage daydream.

We've been craving a revolution, and I'm completely swept off my feet in the fantastic world of space.

What if.... another Space Age.

That whole period in time when the US and the Soviet Union were racing to get a rocket into space, and then a man on the moon was simply mind-blowing. The lunar landing aired on TV really must have been something to watch.

This sudden passion for a Space Age does has something to do with (a) my friend frequently pondering the enormity of the universe (b) virtually only listening to the album Ziggy Stardust for months (c) reading Stranger in a Strange Land (d) repeatedly swooning over the trailer for The Man Who Fell To Earth, and (e) having a portion  of my history class dedicated to watching 2001: A Space Odyssey nearly every Friday.  

Even so, my parent are Trekkies (which ensured the taping of what I can safely say is most of the Star Trek: TNG episodes).  There was a time when 'family time' was defined as watching the entire Star Wars saga multiple times in one month.  And I still can't get over the pictures taken by the Hubble Space Telescope.  I never will.

I remember when I was little, I went to a museum with a whole display of pictures of other galaxies.  It had that ambient space music playing, and I remember being totally transfixed.  Then, at the exit, there was a picture of Earth from space and the Wizard Of Oz quote: "There's no place like home."

No comments: