Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gee, my life's a funny thing

You know when you can't quite make out the lyrics to a song, so you have this version of what the person is saying in your head?  And then you go to look it up, and it's completely different?  

When I was little I thought this line in Led Zeppelin's Misty Mountain Hop was: "Gods are people seated on the grass with flowers in their headset."  (It's actually: "Crowds of people sittin' on the grass with flowers in their hair said, 'Hey boy, do you wanna score?'" But that comes later.)  So for the longest, I kept singing my line about the gods in the grass, flowers in their headsets.  You know what?  To me, gods still are people seated on the grass with flowers in their headsets.  It's the loveliest mental picture.  Same one I had when I was a little kid.

I tend to see things in my mind's eye when I listen to songs.  Sometimes, it's not even an actual image, just a color or a mood or an indescribable feeling.

When vocal artists sing really, really fast they always seem to sing slower once you know the lyrics.  

I was rather delighted that I understood most of the lyrics to David Bowie's Velvet Goldmine the other day. ^_^ Now, for Young Americans...

No comments: